My arms are sore today. Too much of my recent shop activity has been focused on welding or CNC machining, neither of which does much for muscle tone. I need to join a gym I think.
After creating several prodigious piles of shavings, I noticed that my #6 was getting dull, it was requiring more force to move it through the length of the stock. I did a quick touchup, freehand, on a fine oil stone. I got a nice bur on the back – in fact I chased the bur back and forth as I took it off the back I formed a bur on the front. I think that means the oilstone I has using is too coarse.
The re-sharpened blade was better, but not great. So I decided that I needed to put a better edge on it using my waterstone. I’m still a neophyte sharpener. This #6 Bailey is a very recent ebay purchase, and it came with a good edge – so this is the first time I sharpened it myself. I worked the back to a mirror finish — it was reasonably flat but dull and pitted when I got it. Then I used my Veritas MK II jig and worked the edge with the 1000 and 8000 stones. It didn’t develop a bur, although the bevel appeared to go to the edge and it felt sharp. I dismissed the lack of a bur on the back and tried it out. Better, but still not great. I need to re-grind the bevel because I obviously didn’t get a truly sharp edge.
But, in more interesting news, I have the second face planed straight, without twist and essentially square to the rough face.
The doug fir planes nicely, although I get a little tear out where the grain reverses around knots. Stupid knots. I am able to work out the twist pretty reliably now, but I still struggle with flat at the beginning edge. It seems to end up lower there than the rest of the face. I need to work on my technique I suppose.
Even knowing that I had a slight dip at the end of the second face I decided to try the two boards together so I could see how I was doing. I didn’t think I could get the face right until I spent the time to get the blade on the #6 properly sharpened. There is a gap at the right end of the joint, where the red arrow is. It’s not bad, maybe 1/32″. It looks bigger in the picture because I cut a small bevel on the edge of both boards. I have to remove so much material for the adjacent faces that it’s a non-issue.
I like it. I don’t like the knots. I read that a toothed blade can be helpful there. Between that, sharp, and low angle I think I’ll be able to deal with them. Time will tell. Hopefully another few hours will result in a perfect fit and a glued up assembly.