Saw Chest – Bottom Experiments

I snuck a few minutes in the shop to experiment with what I want to do for the bottom of my saw chest.

I cut a bunch of 12″ long 1″ x 4″ white pine boards, and shot one end square.  I’m not going to bother squaring up all 6 faces as I don’t think it’s necessary, but I wanted to make sure one end of each piece was square so I could line them up.

Then I planed one face – just to remove the dirt, and assorted dings and dents from the big box store.

Then I did a quick sharpen job on the blades for my Stanley 48 T&G plane, and made some test cuts.  it seemed to work OK, but the result is a little rougher than I’d like.  I’ve read that this is typical, but I’m going to spend a little more time honing the blades to see if I can get better results.

Also, the tongue doesn’t fit into the groove without persuasion – but it’s easily corrected with a few swipes of the shoulder plane.  I suspect that I can tweak things slightly to get the fit correct right off the plane.  Used hand tools always always seem take a bit of fiddling to get the working properly.  Not surprising if you figure that these have been in a box or sitting on a shelf somewhere  for 50 years.

The tongue cut seems to do a better job than the groove.

There is some tearout in the groove.  Sharper blades, more care to keep the plane vertical, and perhaps a slightly lighter cut will probably help a lot.

The last step is to cut a small 1/16″ bead.  Again, this tool probably needs to be a bit sharper.  I can only use it in one direction, so the odds are I’m going against the grain sometimes – which leaves a fuzzy surface in places.

Aesthetically I’m trying to decide between one bead or two.  One seems too small and dainty.  The only other beading plane I have is a 1/4″, but it’s too big to use next to the T&G joint (no clearance).  Maybe I’ll try a ship lap with a larger bead?

 

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | 2 Comments

Post navigation

2 thoughts on “Saw Chest – Bottom Experiments

  1. Looks good and a tad fancy for the bottom of a saw till. It Amazes me when I thik of what the old guys did with these tools. Nice to see that you’re giving them a new use and life.
    ralph

  2. The more I look at it the more I’m thinking that the 1/16″ bead is just too small. I’m going to have to either go with shiplapped boards so I can use my larger bead plane or maybe make a scratch stock to use with the T&G joint.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: