Between making dinner, getting my son to do his homework and getting him off to bed I managed to make a little progress on my tenon saw handle.
First I planed the top horn, until I’d removed all of the chipped horn. I would have preferred to have the glue line parallel to the grain, but I didn’t have enough Apple scrap to do it that way – it would have removed a lot more of the handle.
I also cut off a small bit of Apple wood and planed one face so I’d have a decent surface for gluing. I don’t know about the color match — the wood on the handle has a deep, even red color. The scrap I have is lighter and has a more pronounced grain. I may have to stain it or use a dark finish to get it all even looking.
I used some Titebond 3 and a pair of rubber bands to clamp it up. After the glue dries I’ll saw off the excess and rasp it into shape.
OK, now what to do about the missing chunk? I laid out a trim line to cut away the damaged wood so I could have a straight joint. This seemed to be the best approach.
I sawed out the waste, but couldn’t get a plane in to smooth it out. I pared it with a chisel and then planed the scrap of Apple I had left. Unfortunately it wasn’t big enough to align the grain properly. I also planed the side that faces into the saw slot. In fact, I put the saw blade into the slot when I glued and clamped the new part in to make sure the blade slot was properly aligned. I’ll have to chisel out the notch for the back after it’s dried.
Note that the patch bisects the hole for the saw nut. Not a big deal, I can drill it out from the opposite side.
There were a couple of cracks in the handle on the right side I flowed some CA into the cracks to seal them and reinforce the area.
So, the handle is looking a lot like Bride of Frankensaw at this point. I left it to dry overnight before I start cutting and filing. I think it will be a decent looking saw when it’s done.