Actually, I’m getting pretty close to “done”. I just keep chipping away at it, and making good progress.
I glued up the second end assembly this morning. The tenons fit snugly, although there are a few small gaps. I had a lot of problems with this wood chipping out. I want to use some better quality wood on my next project (well, after the workbench). My criteria are pretty low. Dry would be nice.
While the second assembly was drying I started working on the stretchers (yay!). Isn’t this a fine looking piece of wood? I marked out my cuts with red pen on three sides.
I followed the same procedure as always, but I gues this time I got it right. I started the cut at the far corner and slowly walked the kerf down the layout line, then followed the line down the front keeping the blade in the kerf I already established. Once I was sawing at a 45 degree angle (and at the bottom of the board) I went to the other side and walked the cut down the other face. Then I just finished off the cut through the traingular mound in the bottom.
All 3 cuts came out almost perfectly square, within 1/32″ in the worst spot.
Next I dimensioned these two parts. It went pretty quickly, and it didn’t leave me gasping for breath. Maybe I’m getting the hang of this.
I laid out the tenons on one end of the stretchers and called it a day. I’m solo-parent this weekend so duty calls. Tomorrow I should be able to get the tenons cut on the stretchers and glue up the assembly. I have to make some sort of top stretchers too, otherwise I think it’ll be prone to racking. I don’t want a wobbly bench for sharpening, that sounds like a problem to avoid.