I need to make a few christmas presents, first off is a shaker candle box for my Mom. I have a piece of Cherry that I plan to use for this.
I decided that that before I started cutting wood I’d sharpen all my tools. I’ve made one of these boxes before so I had a pretty good idea which tools I’d be using. I ended up sharpening most of my chisels, my marking knife, my jointer and my smoother. I decided to add in my block plane and my LN 140 too. I’m going to try creating a small rebate on the inside of the tails to help with alignment. The Sandvik chisels I’ve blogged about before. They sharpen fairly easily, which is a good thing. Maybe they will hold an edge better in Cherry than Fir. The Japanese chisel is a dovetail chisel that I’ve had forever. I have to sharpen it freehand as it doesn’t fit in any of my jigs, I need to get better at freehand sharpening…or get a jig that would work with it.
I laid out all of my current sharpening junk. Shovels and rakes and implements of destruction. And a woobie.
I only used the 220 stone on a couple of chisels that were in bade shape. In general I shaped the bevel with eh 1,000 grit stone, then did the micro bevel on 4,000, 8,0000 and 16,000. Using a jig I can get my my tools very sharp fairly quickly, Honestly, I haven’t been satisfied with the results from my smoother yet (LN #4). I d’ get a too-thick shaving (or none at all), and plane tracks. I can get a whispyier shaving from my #8. It’s better after sharpening it today, but I’m still getting tracks. I checked for nicks in the plane body, and lightly cambered the blade. More practice and experimentation.
I made a little fixture to set the chisel in the $9 honing jig I use for my chisels. This gives me a 25 degree angle. “Made” is a little bit of an overstatement, it’s obviously two scraps of pine glued together. But it works just fine.
Once the primary bevel is set and I have a burr on the edge I shorten the stickout by 1/8″ (using a ruler as a spacer). This raises the angle slightly so I can add a micro bevel.
Overall I probably spent an hour and a half sharpening, but some of these tools needed a lot of attention. I spent time improving the flatness of the backs on many of these tools, and a couple had badly nicked blades.