For some reason I’m not progressing very smoothly on the candle box. I made a couple of mistakes on the dovetails, and I thought I had that process more or less under control. I ended up cutting off the end where I undercut the shoulder and chipped out part of a tail.
Things went mostly better after that, but not as nicely as I’d like. The test fit of the first pins I cut showed a gap in one spot. Frustrating.
So I decided to take a break and clear my head. Yesterday when I was dimensioning the stock for the box sides I had two 2″ wide off-cuts of Cherry for the scrap pile. I had a piece of Walnut scrap and thought I’d glue them together to use in a lathe project some day. “Some day” turned out to be today.
I cut the ends square, planed the edges to square up the blank and cut it in half to make two candlestick holders.
I turned it round, and then turned a simple tapered shape. I’m not much of a turner, but I can do this kind of project and get good results. I felt more in control rounding the stock up that in previous projects.
I marked the narrow part and just worked by eye. A little sanding (80, 180, 220, 320, 400) and a coat of Tried & True and they are done. Backup present ready to go. Now I’ll go back and see if I can get the dovetailing on the candle box finished.