OK, as I type this I’m realizing how very late I am getting started on presents. Crud.
First present, a candle box for my mom. The Grand Plan is the Kolya will make her a pair of candlestick holders, and I’ll make a box for candles. Busy day ahead of me.
I got a start on dimensioning the stock last night, which went really well. I started with an 10′ 6″ wide 4/4 Cherry board that has been laying in the shop for a year. I had to pick some metal filings out and clean it with solvent as someone (probably several someones) had walked on it with greasy boots loaded with metal chips. Sigh.
I was really careful to orient the grain so the base side was out, and the grain was contiguous all the way around the box. I dutifully marked my little cabinet maker’s triangles on the top edges to maintain this orientation.
I was pretty happy up to this point. After being so careful to dimension the boards and keep the grain oriented I had a brain spasm and cut the rebate to register the tails on the outside of the front inside the inside. Strike one. I just spaced out on checking my orientation. Man, that was frustrating. It doesn’t make this firewood, but it’s disappointing.
I started cutting the tails, and under-cut one of the half-pin shoulders too. Strike two. I should have stopped at dimensioning and taken a break I guess. I’m heading out to the shop to see if I can salvage the work I’ve done so far. I think it will be OK in the end, but hey…I’ve got another eight feet of Cherry left I guess.