I have the sense that this project is going to take a while… I’m not big on deferred gratification, and this is going to be fussy to make.
I sawed up some Mahogany scraps yesterday and started planing them square. I’m measuring them with digital calipers, which is making me a little crazy. I’m trying to get them square at exactly 1/2″. They will be .512″ in the middle and .487″ at one end and .478″ at the other. Do I throw it away? So far, no.
I made up a story stick with the dimensions for the the stiles and laid out four pieces. The layout lines are knifed in, I went over them in pencil to make them show up a little better. I also flattened the back on my 3/16 chisel. I got a Lie-Nielsen set for Christmas and I’m tuning them up as I go.
So I started by chopping out the mortises. I only did a couple, just enough so I could get a sense of the scale of the finished part. And get a feel for working in this scale.
I cut tenons for the rails and put it together. The rails are set back nicely, but I’m concerned that it’s a little too small. It’s too narrow, compared to the picture. In fact, it’s too narrow compared to my model. I made these rails 3 3/16″ between the tenons because that was what I had in my noted, but 4 3/16″ is what I have in the model. I think the stock dimensions are a little small too.
Back to the drawing board. At least I know I can cut little tiny mortises now.