Blacker Sconce…almost

I cut the mortises, but ran into a problem.  The mortises for the rails and rebates for the glass channel are really close together.  On several of the stiles they broke right there.  Dang.

The dry fit is OK, and the rails are all in good shape. I could probably make this work with some epoxy and filler pieces, but I’m going to re-make the stiles a little more carefully — leaving more clearance between the rebate and mortise.

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back...

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back…

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , | 2 Comments

Post navigation

2 thoughts on “Blacker Sconce…almost

  1. Joe, I ran into the same problem with my G & G table lamps. Am considering remaking the stiles, but using 1/4″ dowels instead of M & T. That mortise is a bugger, so close to the rabbit !! Heresy?

    • Without changing the tenons – either making them thinner or narrower – I’m kind of stuck with this situation. I re-made the stiles, but over shot on two of the mortises. I got in a hurry. I may be able to use them, but I’m going to pick up another piece of Mahogany tomorrow and work a little more carefully.

      (edit: “tenons” not “tendons”, this just wrong)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: