Tiny Progress on the Giant Tool Cabinet

Two steps forward, one step back.

I re-cut the dados for the tongues — the joint that holds the sides together.  I measured everything and the dados were about .035″ too shallow overall.  I test fit the sides together and it all closed up nicely.

Then I cut a piece of 1/2″ ply for the back.  Somehow I cut it out of square.  I’m not completely used to the sliding table, and the miter gauge was slightly off — and slightly loose.  I made a series of test cuts until I was sure it was dialed in properly, although I’m not 100% confident I have the table itself adjusted exactly right.  It seems like it’s off about .030″ over the entire travel (about 6′), which seems pretty close — but it’s not 100%.  I’m scratching my head about the best way to get that dialed in properly.

Anyway, I’ll have pick up another sheet of 1/2″ ply tomorrow and re-make the back.  Then I can start fitting in the dividers and cutting more dados for the other shelves and cubbies.  I think this will start coming together more quickly now.  At least, that’s my theory.

Test Assembly

Test Assembly

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: