One Door Done

So, it’s taking a little longer than I’d hoped to make the doors for the tool cabinet, about two hours to cut all the parts, lay out the locations for the biscuits and cut the slots, test fit and finally glue it up.  Honestly, I think the glue up took the most time.

I used the large (#20) biscuits veery 8″ all the way around the perimeter to align and support the edge strips.  I also use the smaller (#10) at the four corners between the edge strips.  I should have taken a picture of all the slots, but I was in a hurry to get this done, and let’s face it…it’s not what I’d call “fine woodworking”, it’s just utilitarian.

One Door Mocked Up

One Door Mocked Up

Thinking ahead (just a novelty, I won’t make a habit of it) I cut one of the long edge pieces .175″ narrower to allow for the piano hinge.

Instant Hinge Mortise

Instant Hinge Mortise

The glue up was a pain.  I put glue in the slots then used an acid brush to work it in (and get the excess out) way kind of fussy…and time consuming with 36 slots to work glue into.  After I got this done I remembered that I bought a special biscuit slot glue bottle years ago (and never used it).  I dug though my junk and found it.  Maybe the second door will go a little more quickly.

Anyway, it’s “in the clamps” and I have to go run a few errands.  I’ll get the other door knocked out this afternoon for sure.

One down, one to go

One down, one to go

 

 

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: