My son Kolya and I went to a introductory stained glass class today. We both had a good time and came home with finished projects.
My goal was to see if I could make a panel for my Greene & Greene style sconces. I had patterns ready and the instructor OK’d my project.
The process is fairly straightforward, but of course the devil is in the details. My glass cutting needs some work, and there are a dozen little details that I wish I’d done better on, but I understand the process now and am confident I can do it.
The gist of the process is to score the glass – and there is a special procedure for dealing with inside and outside curves. Snap the glass on the score lines and check it against the pattern. Any uneven edges get mark for grinding later after all the parts are cut out.
This is a fairly complicated part only because the parts are small, and there are small inside curves. I cut them as best I could and then tried to fine turn them with the grinder.
Once the parts are fine tuned they get cleaned to remove the grinding dust, then warmed on a hot plate to help the copper foil stick. The foil is rolled onto the edges so that it overlaps both faces just a little. On the finished piece my solder lines are a little wider than I’d like – which is a combination of too much of a gap between parts and perhaps too-wide copper foil tape.
The parts are soldered from both sides, cleaned, a patina applied and a coat of wax applied.
I give this one a C+ for effort. I’m going to buy my own set of glass tools and order some glass and make the parts for the sconces now.