There were a couple of details that were bugging me about the design for the gate. The lower hinge looked a little “off”, and the top latch bar was too long, and wouldn’t actually pivot up the way it was designed. I corrected those points, although I think I’ll still make some more changes to the latch bar. I also added a vertical element to tie the upper and lower hinges together. I think that will substantially increase the strength and eliminate any chance of the gate racking.
There are a couple of additional elements I want for this project. One is a lighted street number, I have that designed and it looks OK to my eye. I may tweak it or try a different design, but this is pretty close to OK. It’s not the font I wanted for the number, so that might change.
The other detail is a pair of Greene & Greene style metal lanterns. I did a quick rough mockup of those, but they aren’t “right” yet. That’s generally how this process works for me. I do a first design that is just about getting the shape and proportions for the piece I want to make. Sometimes I’m pretty close, other times it takes two or three iterations to figure out what I don’t like. Then I add in a few details to make sure it’s going to have the right effect.
Then I usually re-model the part so it has all of the detail I’ll need to make it. In the case of the gate, for example, that step would be to model each board, mortise and tenon and then assemble it. That way I’m sure of the layout when I get to the shop. I’m not sure I need to do that in practice for the gate as I can pick up all of the critical dimensions I need from the model I have. But for the lanterns and even the light box I need to have a little more information about the fabrication as I’m thinking about having some of the parts laser cut. On the street number piece above I could have just the front panel laser cut and weld on sides, or I could model it with the sides attached and bend it on a brake – which would be a lot nicer.
The lanterns are not at all right, I’ll have to look at some more pictures. The base is too big, the body too small and the roof too steep. I can fix that now that I see what’s wrong with it. Having an initial, albeit wrong design helps me find the right one. This one, which is a commercial unit inspired by the Blacker House lanterns is pretty close to what I want.