Once I thought about the renderings I did last night I realized the missing details were bugging me, so I decided to update it with the missing bits. It looks more finished to my eye now, although there are a number of things that I’d still want to tweak. This is close enough for my purposes, and was a good experience getting familiar with SolidWorks 2011 — I had been using the 2009 version because of some other limitations.
So, what’s new in this version?
I added a simple base. It’s a small detail, but I think it makes it look a lot more finished. I changed the top so that it has breadboard ends with ebony plugs, and I added the same stylized inlay as on the front panel (silver wire with copper accents and abalone shell inlay. I had to fiddle around to figure out how to get the abalone inlay to render, but I got it sorted out. I also added handles on the sides for carrying, in the same style as the Bush Curio Cabinet, more or less. It looks finished now, although if I build it one day I’ll need to spend more time futzing with the inlay design, and maybe a few other details.
There is a G&G Inlay class at the William Ng school this spring, I’d really like to attend that. I’d better start saving my pennies.