Moving right along, I finished up the case yesterday, leaving just the door and drawers to do. I added a cleat to hang the hang the cabinet that is recessed in the crate trim — I hope I don’t regret that. It means that the cabinet needs to hang exactly over two studs, but it also won’t show when the cabinet is hung. I really hate drywall walls. In my dream shop I’d have plywood or shiplap walls.
Anyway, here is how yesterday went – excluding photos of grocery shopping and laundry…
I started with the back, I machined some stock to 3/8″ thick and cut a 3/16″ rabbet in two edges to make the back. I padded on a quick coat of shellac, skipping out the outer edge of the inside face so I could glue it. I glued just the vertical edge of the two panels, and nailed them all around.
Next I ripped some strips to make the “crate” banding. I don’t really follow the reasoning on the width. On the sides it’s 2 1/4″ stiles and 1 3/4″ rails, while the top and bottom have 2″ rails and stiles. And the bottom, front rail extends out wider than the cabinet. But I’m just dutifully following instructions, when people ask I will just tell them it’s “an exact reproduction of Roy’s”.
I’m already worrying about what to do for the beer girl poster on the inside of the door, I saw one on ebay for $800 which is out of my budget for this project. You might think this is a cheap build, you might also be surprised. Compared to a lot of projects I suppose that’s true. Here is the tally as I see it: Probably five ten-foot 1 x12’s at $15 each, so about $75 for lumber. I’ve used three boards so far, not counting the waste from re-making the dividers, to get to this stage. I am sure I’ll need at least two more to make the door and all of the drawers – more if I don’t re-saw to get the thin stock for the drawers. Add in a pair of hinges ($20.40), $25 worth of knobs and $58 for the 14 bin pulls and you’re quickly over $175. I’ll probably look for some cheaper hardware for this, it’s not a piece of fine furniture, just a useful shop accessory.
Anyway, the crate trimmings were like falling off a log. Cut to length, glue and nail on. I used my pin nailer on these as I didn’t have any cut nails (or even wire nails) the right length. The glue will provide the strength, and they don’t have a lot to do structurally other than hold the door.