Yesterday afternoon I fit all of the drawers, sanded them and applied a finish to the faces. This morning I installed the pulls and called it finished, I’m pretty happy with the final result.
After gluing and nailing the drawers they are all just slightly too tight for the openings. I hit the sides with a plane and sanded the exterior, testing the fit as I went. I think the end result is decent. I sanded the fronts to 220 grit and applied a coat of plain linseed oil. The oil brought out the color and grain in the Alder I used.
I left the oil to dry for several hours, then padded on two coats of Garnet shellac. I made up a simple template to layout the locations for the screws to make sure the pulls ended up in the right place. I didn’t need to pre-drill any holes, the awl mark was plenty, Alder is pretty soft.
With the finish applied and the pulls installed I’m calling this done. I’ll need to make some cards for the pulls to indicate with is in each drawer, but they are mostly empty right now. I’ll need to order more cut nails and slotted iron screws so I can be in the cool hardware club.
Now, I’m not sure what I want to make next…