I made a door for my little Krenov-inspired coffee cup cabinet.
The scale and inspiration for this cabinet was a book matched walnut panel I glued up from some scraps on a whim. From there I determined the size of the cabinet and the door frame.
As I’d mentioned in the two previous posts on this project, the Claro walnut I had wasn’t as nice as I’d hoped. I used the best pieces on the cabinet sides. Getting the pieces for the door frame was a little bit of a struggle. I looked at the boards I had left and picked out the areas I thought might work. I ripped two strips 1 7/8″ wide, and picked the two lengths for the stiles that had relatively straight grain. Then I picked the two areas that had more interesting figure that I could use for the rails. I laid these out on the book matched panel to see how it might look.
I was going to just make stub tendons on the rails, but decided instead to do through bridle joints. I plowed the grooves and cut the joints and fir it together. The joints need a little tiny bit of fine tuning, and I need to repair a mistake I made, but it’s going to look pretty good I think. I’ll need to shave some material off the top and bottom, it’s a snug fit now.
I’m going to use knife hinges to mount the door. Tomorrow I’ll finish the door and glue it up. If I have time I’ll start fitting the hinges and make the back panels. I haven’t decided what to do about the shelves. I could have the be adjustable with pins, or have them fixed in dados. I’m leaning toward adjustable shelves.