I spent some time in the shop this weekend, but I have to say I’m really frustrated with my pace on this coffee cup cabinet. It should be a relatively simple project, but I’m moving in slow motion for some reason.
I made the parts for the back of the cabinet out of Maple, I had just enough scrap to get this done. It was a lot harder to cut the rabbets for the ship-laped back with my Stanley #78 in Maple than in Pine. I spent some time flattening the back of the blade and sharpened it to the best possible edge I could and that helped. In fact, I ended up tuning up and sharpening several of my planes which felt good.
One of these days I’m going to upgrade this to a #278 or the Veritas equivalent with the skewed blade, I know that would do a nicer job.
I’ve been thinking about why this project is taking me so long. I’d imagined getting the carcase glued up this weekend, but ran out of steam. The problem is the details, and right now the main detail that has be stalled is installing the knife hinges. So far, everything on the project has gone reasonably well – but I’m afraid of screwing up installing the knife hinges.
I’ve looked at several articles that describe different approaches to installing knife hinges, but I’m stuck. I think I need to do a couple of practice pieces to get past this block. Most of the articles I’ve seen involve using a router to clear out the waste, although I’d rather not use that approach. I’ll have to do some experiments and see what works for me.