After a bit of remedial mortising I’m back working on my Byrdcliffe-inspired cabinet.
First off, I picked up the materials for finishing, but I’m not sure on the exact approach I’m going to use – so I’m making up some finish samples. I found this article online that has some some different mission-style finish formulas using a combination of aniline dye and gel stain. I’m making up samples of the #4 and #5 examples.
I want the quarter-sawn figure to really “pop”. So far it’s not. The dye seems to color the oak pretty evenly. After this drys I’ll put a coat of gel stain on each and see what it looks like. Plan B is to fume it, oil it, topcoat with amber shellac and then brown wax. I’ll need to pick up some ammonia and start a piece fuming so I can compare it.
While I’m waiting for my samples to dry I’m working on the door for the cabinet. I milled up new stiles to replace the ones I screwed up before. And yes, I left them long to prevent blowing out the ends when I mortise and assemble the door frame.
I also made a small fixture to help keep my mortise plumb.
I did one more practice mortise to “warm up” and make sure the fixture would work as I expected. It did.
So I knifed in the final length on the stiles, laid out the mortise locations and started chopping the real mortises. I have one stile done, and I’m just taking a quick lunch break before attacking the second stile. Fingers crossed…