It doesn’t look like much, but I got a decent start on the Thorsen Cabinet yesterday.
I spent a couple of hours tweaking the CAD model — spread out over the day — as I found errors or missing information. I also started developing printed plans that I could take to the shop as a reference. The CAD model doesn’t look substantially different, but I made several small adjustments to the details.
This is the first version of the plans that I’ve posted — there will be more as I build this project. At the very least I’ll need to draw up the door for the cabinet and patterns for the stained glass. As I build it I’m sure I’ll discover errors or construction details I want to add in.
My main goal for the day was to rough mill all the lumber for the case. I accomplished that, although I forgot about the back somehow. I wanted to get the wood flat and square, then give it time to “acclimate” — which I’m convinced really translates into “warp”. Today I’ll see if it moved and get it machined to final dimensions, cut the rabbets and dados and get the carcass mocked up. We’ll see how far I get, I also have a project I want to do with my son, and that takes precedence.
The Sapele seems to machine without any particular tendency to tear out, I’m eager to see how it reacts to final finishing with a hand plane. I’m already wondering how I’ll finish this. The color is brownish-pink, and it darkens over time to a reddish-brown — although with finish on it that will take years I expect. I think I’ll probably want to use a little dye to get to the color I want, then topcoat with oil and shellac. I’ll need to do some sample panels later. It has more color already than most of the Honduras Mahogany I’ve worked with.