It’s been a busy week at work, and I’m looking forward to making some solid progress in the shop on this new Greene & Greene cabinet that is inspired by an original cabinet in the Thorsen house. I’d like to get the carcass all together, and that seems realistic.
I’ve finished milling the Sapele for the body of the carcass, and I just cut the dados and rabbets to assemble it. I need to drill the shelf pin holes, and drill the mounting holes for the skirt. Then I can start milling up the wood for the back of the cabinet and the door.
I should probably go buy some 5/4 or 6/4 stock for the door — which wants to be 1″ thick the way it’s designed. I could plane down the 8/4, but that seems wasteful.
Stuff I need to buy still: plug cutters to plug the screw holes that attach the skirts. The screws don’t show unless you take the front skirt off, but it should be finished. I need to buy or make the handle too. Dale Barnard, the man that designed this cabinet, sells a custom brass handle that is modeled after the Gamble house kitchen cabinet handles (as I understand it). At $80, it’s a little steep for my budget though.
I used my power tools to get to this point, I will final surface the inner faces and exposed edges with my hand planes, followed by a light sanding before I do the assembly. That reminds me, I’ll need to raise the grain on the inside faces before I final sand it, it’s nearly impossible to do a nice job on that once the cabinet is glued up.