It’s supposed to be blistering here today, close to 90. Regular readers will know that means it will be 100+ in the shop even with the doors and windows open and the fan running, for some reason the garage I use for my wood shop seems to suck up the heat. To beat the heat I got an early start, I was sanding parts at 6:30 am. It took almost three more hours of hand sanding to get everything in good shape for finishing. I had to scrape a few areas where there was some tear out from the plane, and then lots of hand work to blend the contours. I think this approach makes Greene & Greene objects look more authentic, but after hours of sanding I’m thinking of working on developing a taste for flat, square furniture that I can power sand into submission.
The “waterfall” detail on the bottoms of the legs, including the domed end that is on the bottom received a lot of attention, getting the inside radius smooth was all hand work. Once the table is done they will end up being a subtle detail as they are on the bottom of the legs, on the inside faces.
After all the parts were sanded to 320 grit I flew the dust out of the pores and wet them down to raise the grain. Then I lightly sanded them again with worn 320 grit paper.
I did a final check of everything, double checked my assembly numbers to make sure they were legible (nothing like trying to cram the wrong tenon into a mortise while glue is running up your arm). Finally I took a deep breath and decided to glue up the base. I laid out all the parts so they were positioned for the glue up. I set up my clamps, heated up a glass of water to warm the hide glue and said a prayer to the patron saints of sawdust.
I don’t know why glue ups cause me so much stress, but I do know I’m not alone. I read somewhere that even James Krenov stressed over glue ups. Since I’d test fit everything I was pretty sure I’d be ok. I thought about doing the table base glue up in two stages — do two sides, let them cure, then assemble the two sides together. I’m not that patient though, I want to get further along before the weekend is gone.
So, somewhere in this picture, hiding under the clamps is a Greene & Greene table. It looks like I got all of the stretchers in the right orientation this time.
I also got the top for the table roughed out. Last weekend I glued up a panel for the top and cut it to size. I got the joinery for the breadboard ends done this morning too. Before I can assemble this part I need to make an of the mortises for the eight (!) ebony pegs the go around the perimeter of the top. I also need to sand and shape the parts. Hopefully I can get the done today too, and get it assembled. If so, then tomorrow is ebony peg time — and I’ll switch back to the Greene & Greene cabinet.
On the cabinet I need to make the copper frame to hold the stained glass, and take care of a few final details on the door. I doubt I’ll get both projects to the “finishing” stage this weekend, but it should be close. I also have to run a couple of errands, including picking up the screws I need to assemble the top and some stained glass supplies.
Back to it…