OK. I think I nearly done with the finishing on the Thorsen table.
I dug out my old Binks HVLP gun, diluted the same Garnet Shellac I’ve been using , loaded the gun and crossed my fingers.
Turns out, compared to spraying high tech catalyzed auto paints, spraying Shellac is pretty simple. I’m guessing I was spraying a mix that was a 1 pound cut or less, I definitely wanted the mix diluted enough that I could spray it without worrying about dark spots if I hit one area with an extra coat. Kind of like spraying candy apple car paint.
Before spraying I rubbed the dyed and oiled (and cured) top with a white scotchbrite pad to remove any nibs or oil spots. Gently — after rubbing through the finish on the top once I’m not eager to re-do it again.
I sprayed the edges first, then did one pass parallel to the breadboard ends, and a second pass with the grain. Then I left it to dry for about 15 minutes.
While the top was drying I started sanding out the base with 600 grit, and decided that it could be improved. So after going over the bottom with 600 I shot it with a couple of thin coats too.
In the end I sprayed probably 6 thin coats on the top, both sides. I sprayed a double coat, let it dry, and scuff sanded it to remove any roughness. After the first double coat I used 320 grit, after that I just rubbed it with a white Scotchbrite pad.
My job right now — and this is probably the hardest part for me — is to leave it alone so it can throughly dry. After that I’ll rub it with 0000 steel wool (carefully) and wax. This will level the finish and add a little more color. In the outside sun the table has a nice red cast. Under the greenish florescent shop lights it looks brown. It will probably be somewhere in between in the house.