I spent today futzing with the last details on the cabinet before starting to apply finish — which I’m going to wait to start until I’m fresh and go over the cabinet one more time with clearer eyes. But, I think it’s ready for finish. All the hardware has been mounted, the parts fit and sanded to 320, and today I sorted out the last little bits.
First, as Ralph pointed out, I needed to make the retaining strips to hold the stained glass panel in place. I probably would have remembered that, although whether I’d have remembered it before starting to install the glass is a coin toss.
With that chore out of the way I mounted the door pull and chopped all of the square holes for the ebony plugs. This was ease compared to the recent Thorsen table which had 40 plugs, there are only 12 in the door and another 6 in the case.
About the door pull – I thought seriously about putting a mortised lockset into the cabinet, but eventually realized that the backspacing for the key didn’t look right. To have that look right I need narrower stiles.
Then is was just a matter of making the ebony pegs, I used the little sanding board I made for the last time I did this, and it didn’t take much time at all to knock these. out. Maybe five or ten minutes. Less than two Lighting Hopkins songs.
To glue the pegs in, I first bevel the sides slightly so I can get them started. Then I apply glue into the hole using a little wood coffee stir stick cut square on the end. Then I set the peg in the hole and tap it down with a plastic mallet. I try to stop just before the rounded-over edge gets to the surface of the door.
And that’s it. The finishing should be pretty straightforward, and the glass isn’t too complex (although I still have to do the layout for that). The end is in sight, I need be starting another project soon. Speaking of which, I priced out the wide, thick quarter sawn white oak I need for the bookcase project — it’s probably $1,000. Gulp. That might not be the next project after all!