I got a couple of hours in the shop before it got too hot to work today (when is the weather going to break anyway?), and made good progress on the stained glass for the Thorsen cabinet door. If I could get a solid day in the shop I’d be long since done I think.
Anyway, I started by re-making two pieces of the top pane with a different color for more contrast. I think it will look better this way. So it changes from this:
Once the seams were soldered the first one would have looked less uniform, but I like having the purple there. It’s hard to get the final effect looking at just the pieces, so I’m going on faith a little . If it looks horrible when I’m done I can always hurl it across the shop after all.
Then I started on the small panels on the right, I laid out the clear, cut and found all there panels. I followed the same sequence as I showed in my last post, I cut and ground the full sized pane to fit the opening in my copper framework, then I cut and ground the areas the needed to be removed for the colored areas. With some nice music on the stereo this goes really quickly.
Then I started cutting and fitting the colored glass. I laid out which colors I wanted to use in which spots on my master pattern to keep it straight. Where I cloud shape should span two panes I made them the same color. Again, that effect is lost when you’re just looking at the pieces, so it important to have a master pattern with this information.
So that just leaves the large pane on the bottom left. The larger panes are trickier for me, especially with glass glass like this that has inclusions and irregularities. It’s really prone to having the crack propagate away from the scored line, but I have three sheets, so I should be able to get it done.