I wrapped up the assembly of the Thorsen cabinet, finally, yesterday. Rubbing out the parts, installing the stained glass and doing the final assembly all went without a hitch. I wasn’t able to get a good picture of the completed project — only mediocre ones. My camera phone doesn’t do well with a lot of contrast and the dark cabinet needs a lot of light to photograph well.
First off, I rubbed out all of the parts with 0000 steel wool and black BriWax. The was goes into the pores in the wood and adds a bit more color. I’ll probably topcoat it with regular paste wax later for protection. I installed the stained glass into the door using the wood retaining strips I’d made, securing them with my pin nailer.
Once the parts were all finished it was time to assemble it. First the back was screwed in, then I hung the door, and that was it. Why did this take me all day? I did waste some time trying to match the patina on the handle with the hinges, but I couldn’t get the hinges to darken properly. I’ll have to read up on patinas, I thought I understood the process.
Then I hauled the project into the house. I haven’t hung it yet, I decided I need to repaint the wall where it’s going…which will lead to repainting the room, and god only know what that will lead to. I actually want to make paneling for the room to match this cabinet, in the style of the Thorsen house where it follows the outline of the cabinet. But first there are six other projects I want to do, so we’ll have to settle for a fresh coat of paint for now.
My photography skills notwithstanding, I’m really happy with the finished project. There are (always) a few things that I see to improve on in the next project, whether it’s proportions, construction or finish details of course. But I try not to dwell on the minor glitches and enjoy the overall result.