G&G Power Strip – Itza Start

I got a couple of hours in the shop yesterday and made a good start on the G&G power strip.  This is supposed to be a “quick and dirty” project, so I hope it doesn’t take on a life of it’s own.  We’ll see.  I made good progress, although there are still a couple of time consuming details left on the boxes themselves — shaping the ends of the finger joints after using a round over bit seems to take longer than you’d ever expect for example.

Anyway, here is where things stand right now.

I started with an off cut of 6/4 Sapele left over from a recent project.  It was about 15" long, so I figured I could get enough for a couple of power strips from it.

I started with an off cut of 6/4 Sapele left over from a recent project. It was about 15″ long, so I figured I could get enough for a couple of power strips from it.  I faced one side so it was flat, and one edge so it was square to that side.

Then I resawed it into two pieces about 5/8" thick.  These I jointed and planed flat, thicknessing then to 1/2" exactly.

Then I resawed it into two pieces about 5/8″ thick. These I jointed and planed flat, thicknessing then to 1/2″ exactly.

I ripped the two 1/2" wide boards into 2/5" wide strips, then cross cut them to the lengths necessary for  the sides (10") and ends (3.75").  Since the grain on the sapele is pretty consistent I didn't worry about trying to keep it continuous around the four sides for each box.

I ripped the two 1/2″ wide boards into 2/5″ wide strips, then cross cut them to the lengths necessary for the sides (10″) and ends (3.75″). Since the grain on the sapele is pretty consistent I didn’t worry about trying to keep it continuous around the four sides for each box.

Finally I laid out the fingers for the joints, 1" on the ends and 3/4" wide on the sides.  I cut them close and pared them to fit, everything is nice and tight.

Finally I laid out the fingers for the joints, 1″ on the ends and 3/4″ wide on the sides. I cut them close and pared them to fit, everything is nice and tight.

I did a bit more, laying out the locations for the ebony pegs — twelve to each box — and starting to round over the ends before I called it quits.  I won’t be able to work on these until next weekend again because I’m about to pack up and drive to San Diego for a week long class in Boulle Marquetry.  On the way I hope to stop in LA to look at some original G&G stuff.  I’d like to be on the road in an hour, so time for a cup of coffee and then I need to roll.

 

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: