Chevalet Status Update
The front upright is mostly done! Huzzah!
Finishing this part meant I I had to jump ahead and start making the cross arm that will support the saw mechanism so I could get the notch in the clamp mechanism the right size (ish). That’s done, and I’m ready to move on to completing the arm mechanism.
I roughed out this cut-out by first drilling a 1.5″ hole and then bandsawing into it. After this picture I got my rasp out and smoothed it out. The idea of this cut out is to trap parts that fall out of the back of the marquetry packet before they fall on the floor and disappear.
Then I laminated on the side blocks. I used Old Brown Glue for this, to avoid messing with the finish. After the glue was dry I planed the surfaces level.
Then I fit the fron clamping block, and drilled the holes for the bolts. The plans only call for two bolts, so I made a trip to the HW store for extra bolts.
I knifed in the square nuts on the back. There can’t be any protrusions on the back because it would interfere with the marquetry packet, so these nuts will have to get recessed.
I counterbored the holes with a 3/4″ forstner bit, then chiseled the walls square. This was fun!
With the nuts recessed I was in the mood for a test assembly so I could see some progress. I’m going to attack this with a round over bit later and knock those sharp edges off.
I need to trim the bolts a little bit, about half an inch, so they don’t protrude.