I got the saw frame finished yesterday and glued up. This was the last bit that I was worried about being able to make, mostly because of the large finger joint between the arms and back. The key was doing a careful layout, working from the reference face on all the parts and assembling them the same way. Accurate sawing is important too of course, but the bandsaw fence took care of most of that.
On a related note, I have a practice project to get my hand sawing skills tuned up in this area. I’m going to make a couple of wooden squares, but I didn’t want to make a mistake on this part. I’d chosen the straightest quarter sawn Sapele for this part, rough dimensioned it and let it acclimate for several weeks…
Once the points were cut and fitting well I added in the details. The arms taper in thickness from 1.125″ at the saw back to 0.5″ right before the wounded ends. I also cut a step in the arms (in use this is where you hold the saw, not at the knob) and a curvy-swoopy thing in the back of the saw. Is that an Astragal? No, that’s not right. Cyma Recta? I think that’s it. Or Curvy Swoopy Thing.
It will need the edges chamfered and a final sanding after gluing, but it’s sitting in the clamps right now.
With the saw frame mostly done (I need to add the gimbal brackets on the back, but it’s already morticed for them), I moved on to preparing the stock for the next major subcomponent — the seat. Once that is done I only need to make the clamp and clamp actuator and I’ll be done.
The seat parts are all 1.75″ thick. I dimensioned the lumber, and laid out all the joinery from my drawings. Next time I get to work in the shop I should be able to cut and fit all of this, it’s all straightforward (if large).
The dovetail joint at the front of the seat / top of the front leg will easily be the biggest dovetail I’ve ever cut…