I completed construction on the classic chevy yesterday. Or as a friend used to say, “it’s all fabrimacated now”.
A little sanding and slathering, then final assembly and adjusting. I need to order some veneer today so I can see if I can pull off a simple marquetry project without Patrick and Patrice coaching.
What I did yesterday was the “slidey thingine” and the “clampy thingie”. I didn’t take any pictures of the latter part, but it’s just a 3/4″ board that is thinned down to 3/8″ for most of it’s length. I actually made a cosmetic mistake on it and might re-do it. we’ll see. The foot pedal assembly came out nice. It started with a giant dovetail connection between the vertical slide and the actual foot medal.
I did a reasonably good job sawing and chiseling the joint, I had to pare one small area where the the saw went slightly off course. When I knocked the joint together is was TIGHT, if it had been any tighter I would have worried. Back apart, glued and into the vise to dry while I took my sone to a school function…
Back home, the glue’s dried enough (or, more accurately, I’ve waited ling enough for the glue to dry). A little clean up on the back of the joint and it look pretty good. One little gap right at the edge. No one, other than the 3 people that read my blog, will ever see it. The important think it that it be strong, and I[m confident on that front.
Back into the car, pick up screws at the hardware store, a few groceries, and finally the boy, and I’m back home again. I finish up the pedal mechanism and install it on the front leg of the seat assembly.
And with that done, I can finally glue up the seat assembly. This went as smoothly as any multi-part assembly could go. I’d profit everything, so it was just a matter of sliding everything in place while juggling clamps. I wiped off the worst of the glue squeeze out,tonight I’ll give it a once over with some sandpaper (everything was pre-sanded) just to clean up any shop dings and bits of escaped glue. Then I can put a coat of finish on the parts. I’m going with a 1-1-1 mix of mineral spirits, linseed oil and poly for the first few coats. I really only want enough finish on this to protect it and bring out the color of the wood. I’ve never finished spell without dye, so I’m eager to see how this looks, color-wise. It should be fairly brown with some reddish cast.