I moved the Mallow flower picture along to the next phase today, which mostly involved a short burst of frenzied work and then a lot of nothing while the glue dries. I love the sound of glue drying, it’s my favorite shop sound.
Here is where we left off, the glue face of the picture facing up. At this point I have it glued face down to the assembly board. I patched a couple of spots where the banding was wonky, then I mixed up some “mastic”, which is Walnut sanding dust, black tempra powdered paint, hot hide glue and hot water. Then I spackled the back of the picture, to fill any saw kerfs and gaps. The Wenge on the border was also super thin, so I filled the height difference.
I block sanded the mastic to make sure it was flat and smooth after it dried. I also cut a piece of Cherry veneer for the back of the panel. I’m still undecided about whether this is a sample for the shop wall, or the start of a small cabinet. To keep my options open I’m veneering both sides of a 1/4″ MDF panel.
The glue up is always a little frantic. I NEARLY GLUED IT FACE DOWN. Whoops, that would have sucked. Instead it’s just extra glue on the show face to scrape off. That’s it, glue is drying and I’ve started another project, sans marquetry. How that project came to be will be a funny, or maybe telling, story.