This is a pretty simple project, even for me. I cut and milled two 8/4 rough Eastern Walnut boards to exactly 2″ thick. One is cross cut at 38″ the other at 32″. These make up the rear and front vise jaws respectively. The rear jaw is 5.5″ wide, and the front is 5.75″ wide to allow it to register with the bench front. I also prepared a piece at 1.75″ thick x 3″ wide x 32″ long for the rear support. The rear support has to be thinner to allow the giant nut to turn on the back when assembling the vise.
Next I wanted to add a little detail to the ends of the rear vise as shown in the plans I posted yesterday. You can lay this out with a compass – and in fact I did at first, but I liked the proportions in the full scale template I drew up better. I did the usual trick of gluing it to 1/4″ MDF with Super 77, and cutting it out. Then I transferred it to the rear vise jaw and cut and shaped the ends.
Next I drilled the 1″ holes for the threaded rod, then strived the outline of the nut to the inside face of the rear jaw. The threaded rod is held in place on the rear jaw by two nuts, one recessed into the face of the rear jaw, and one tightened against the back. Same construction approach as the Benchcrafted vise.
I used a 1.5″ Forstner bit to remove the bulk of the waste. The nuts are 1.625″ wide across the flats and 1″ thick, so I drilled to a depth of 1″.
Then I used a chisel to chop out the rear of the waste until the nut just slid into the cavity. This worked out really well, it’s a nice fit.
I double checked the clearance for the nut on the back — I figured out that it should clear in CAD, but wanted to be sure before I glued the brace on. With that done, I’m pretty much done with the woodwork for the vise. Just a little detailing after the glue dries, I need to make the big wing nuts for the handles once I get my welder fixed, and put some finish on it. This should be a useful tool one completed.