Not much to write about this, just a picture of the finished marquetry picture.
After taking the finished part out of the press it’s pretty uninspiring. All of the work to date has been on the glue face. The marquetry was assembled face-down onto a kraft paper covered board. I actually made a mistake when assembling it and covered the paper face with hot hide glue, and nearly glued it upside down.
I used plastic cauls to face this in the press, so it didn’t stick. So the clean up routine was to first sand it with 120 grit to remove the glue and then spray it with water and start scraping the paper off. Not my favorite job, you end up with a sticky mess. I was careful about how I applied water so it wouldn’t get under the veneer or soak into the MDF core.
After the cleanup I gave it two coats of shellac, sanded with 180, then repeated the shellac and sanding with 220. At that point the surface was smooth and I shot it with two coats of lacquer. Fin.
In the final grading, I’d give it a “B”. There are a couple of technical mistakes, and some compositional problems with shading and color, and there are some details of the sawing that I don’t like, where the contours are not right for the part. But it’s also the largest panel I’ve done, and the first time I’ve done a border like this. I’m going to set up another packet for a different design while I’m working on the Moxon vise and see where that goes. Then maybe, the Griffin. Maybe.