So, I’ve proven that if you you work on a project 10 minutes a week you will eventually get it finished. The past month or so at work has had a number of challenges, which has seriously cut into my already small slice of shop time. I’m working on a plan to try to carve out more shop time, and I’m eager to start the gate project, which will actually be a number of smaller projects all combined.
But, on the the point of this post. I finished the sconce I’ve been working on. It’s a close copy of the sconces in the Inglenook in the Gamble house. I scaled it according to photos and my memory of the originals that I saw when I toured the Gamble House last spring. I think it’s pretty close, but I want to go back and look at the originals again. Do you think they would mind if I measured the original?
Since I’d completed the stained glass panels already, I was pretty close to being finished. I had to install the metal bracket I made to hold the lamp socket, which also screws into the bottom of the “roof”, into the cloud lift hanger brackets. Then I glued the glass panels in. It was a little too tight and I had to make some minor adjustments — the glass I used was about 1/16″ thicker than what I’d used previously. Whoops.
I drew up some brackets to mount to the bottom of the beam in the entry hall, these will be used to hang the sconce from some leather straps.
And I screwed the brackets to the beam, I’m ready to install the sconce!
I made a small, dished Walnut cover plate for the junction box
Overall, I’m happy with the result. If I make another there are a few small tweaks to the design I’d like to see. The lower rails on the sides should have the “cloud lift” too, and the Ebony bars on the roof should be a tad longer and thinner. And the front stained glass panel is a little off, I need to work on keeping the “vine” part of the design more fluid. The side panels came out better.