Posts Tagged With: G&G Power Strip

G&G Power Strip – Itza Start

I got a couple of hours in the shop yesterday and made a good start on the G&G power strip.  This is supposed to be a “quick and dirty” project, so I hope it doesn’t take on a life of it’s own.  We’ll see.  I made good progress, although there are still a couple of time consuming details left on the boxes themselves — shaping the ends of the finger joints after using a round over bit seems to take longer than you’d ever expect for example.

Anyway, here is where things stand right now.

I started with an off cut of 6/4 Sapele left over from a recent project.  It was about 15" long, so I figured I could get enough for a couple of power strips from it.

I started with an off cut of 6/4 Sapele left over from a recent project. It was about 15″ long, so I figured I could get enough for a couple of power strips from it.  I faced one side so it was flat, and one edge so it was square to that side.

Then I resawed it into two pieces about 5/8" thick.  These I jointed and planed flat, thicknessing then to 1/2" exactly.

Then I resawed it into two pieces about 5/8″ thick. These I jointed and planed flat, thicknessing then to 1/2″ exactly.

I ripped the two 1/2" wide boards into 2/5" wide strips, then cross cut them to the lengths necessary for  the sides (10") and ends (3.75").  Since the grain on the sapele is pretty consistent I didn't worry about trying to keep it continuous around the four sides for each box.

I ripped the two 1/2″ wide boards into 2/5″ wide strips, then cross cut them to the lengths necessary for the sides (10″) and ends (3.75″). Since the grain on the sapele is pretty consistent I didn’t worry about trying to keep it continuous around the four sides for each box.

Finally I laid out the fingers for the joints, 1" on the ends and 3/4" wide on the sides.  I cut them close and pared them to fit, everything is nice and tight.

Finally I laid out the fingers for the joints, 1″ on the ends and 3/4″ wide on the sides. I cut them close and pared them to fit, everything is nice and tight.

I did a bit more, laying out the locations for the ebony pegs — twelve to each box — and starting to round over the ends before I called it quits.  I won’t be able to work on these until next weekend again because I’m about to pack up and drive to San Diego for a week long class in Boulle Marquetry.  On the way I hope to stop in LA to look at some original G&G stuff.  I’d like to be on the road in an hour, so time for a cup of coffee and then I need to roll.

 

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | Leave a comment

G&G Power Strip Plans

I only have a little time before I leave town for the marquetry class tomorrow, but I wanted to start on a couple of new projects in the shop today.  I threw together some plans for the power strip I designed, I’ll see if I have enough scraps to make one or two of these.

There are some details I want to adjust still, and I don’t have the materials for the inlay, but what the heck?

Power Strip Plansd

Power Strip Plans

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: | 9 Comments

Cadfael: A G&G (uhmm…) Power Strip

Again, with apologies to Derek Jacobi (for the CAD file pun)…and credit (blame?) to Ralph at the Accidental Woodworker for the inspiration, I’m pleased to present another random synaptic misfire.

I’m actually kind of excited about building this, it will be a great chance to practice my inlay work, and should be a relatively quick project.  Less than two months I’d bet, but don’t hold me to that.  Nothing too complex, and I can make it from scraps left over from recent projects.

The starting point for the project is the Leviton plug.  It’s rated for 20 amps and has one standard 3 prong grounded outlet and two USB charger outlets for the Apple devices that seem to be reproducing everywhere in my house.

Leviton T5830-E plug

Leviton T5830-E plug

I bought two of these through Amazon, they weren’t available locally.  I specifically wanted black because of the style I’m headed towards.  I started by modeling the plug in SolidWorks so I had a virtual outlet to play with.

Plug modeled in CAD so I can use it to start mocking up the design

Plug modeled in CAD so I can use it to start mocking up the design

I settled on using two of these, both for the scale and because they are a little pricy, at least compared to standard 110 outlets that are only a couple of bucks each.

I tried a couple of arrangements, and settled on an inline layout.  I sorted out the proportions and modeled sides, a base, a brass top and some spiffy inlay in silver and abalone shell.  I haven’t figured out the exact mounting arrangements for the outlets and brass top — I may end up putting a couple of screws through the brass top plate.  I’ll probably use some vintage cloth covered cord for the extension cord to the wall outlet.  I’m not happy with the base and will likely change it when I have a better idea.

I know it’s a goofy idea, but I like it.

Power strip rendering

Power strip rendering

Rendering from another perspective

Rendering from another perspective

Categories: Uncategorized | Tags: , | 4 Comments

Blog at WordPress.com.